Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Ask question

We had a guess speaker in class last week. We called him Dr. Lorde or something with Lorde (sorry about the spelling) but he came and talked with our class, and the topic he talked to us about was public schools and his opinion on them. Really he said that public schools are not bad there are standards that school need to be met and some schools are not meeting the requirements but that is not really the schools fault there are reasons to why the schools are not getting the credit that they really deserve and that is the simple fact that the schools are testing the children before they learn it is a tell me what you know and I will teach you whatever it is you do not know and that can hurt some of the schools test scores if you pay attention some schools give out test at the beginning of the school year and they start teaching from the test scores. He compared us the other countries and show us that we really stereotype some of the other countries some countries think that everybody and everything is an engineer, while we think differently on who we consider who is and who is not an engineer. But what puzzled me the most was his opinion on public schools was the fact that he put his daughter in home school……Why!? I could not tell you that is just some food for knowledge!! EAT UP!!

1 comment:

. said...

It’s spelled Lord, just like mine, heh. And I can say that there were a lot of different reasons for me being homeschooled. I don’t think that that necessarily puts a hole in the argument. I think that a lot of what he was saying about schools being better than we might think they are actually lends to the fact that our methods of measurement (especially with NCLB) are pretty screwy.
Anyways, I don’t know if I have an actual answer, but I can’t say that I’m not happy that he “saved” me from the public schools.